The Cherwell School’s sixth form is highly regarded and successful. We are committed to helping all our students to achieve success. We provide a friendly and stimulating environment in which students achieve the highest standards in their work and benefit from a variety of other activities and opportunities. Students enjoy an excellent curriculum which offers a wide choice of subjects.
The school aims, which can be found in the prospectus, underpin our commitment to provide opportunities for all our students to succeed and be well prepared for the future. Our curriculum is designed to equip students with a range of experiences and skills, in addition to qualifications, to allow progression to higher education, training or employment. It is important that students, parents and carers understand the structure of the qualifications in order to make the right choices.
As you are probably aware A levels have been changing. From September 2017, the vast majority of A level courses will be two year linear courses with examinations at the end of Year 13. The exceptions to this rule are mathematics, further mathematics and design technology which retain the AS/A2 format. In the sixth form we would expect most students to follow a programme which includes:
- Three full A level courses*
- An Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
- Social Wellbeing Programme
- Tutor time, including a weekly assembly
- Opportunities to take part in a range of other activities and programmes including, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Sports Leadership, Arts Award, Peer Support/Mentoring, Faculty Support Assistant, Young Enterprise and other volunteering opportunities
At Cherwell we offer a package that we believe maximises the students’ opportunities, choices and success.
* Some students may study more than three courses. For instance, students who follow a programme which includes mathematics and further mathematics will study four A levels.
Year 12 Parents and Carers Evening
Revision Evening 2018
Sixth Form Prospectus
Post 18 Support